What are Cookies?
Cookies are small data files which are stored by your browser on your computer’s hard drive when you visit a website. Cookies help the website to recognise your device the next time you visit and respond to you as an individual. The website can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences. Cookies also help to analyse website traffic.
You can change your settings on your browser to prevent cookies from being stored on your computer or mobile device without explicit consent. The way you do this differs by browser type. For details on how to manage the cookie settings please visit your browser ‘help’ section.
There are many functions cookies serve. For example, they can help us to remember your username and preferences, analyse how well our website is performing, or even allow us to recommend content we believe will be most relevant to you.
The Cookies we store are necessary to use third party applications on our site such as Google Analytics. The information we gather from these applications helps us improve our content and better understand our users’ requirements. It does not identify specific individuals and is used by us for statistical purposes only.
A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
Types of cookies
A visit to a page of The Heart of England Forest website may generate the following types of cookie:
- Session cookies — these allow our website to recognise and link your actions during a browser session. These expire each time you close your browser and do not remain on your device afterwards
- Persistent cookies — these are stored on your device in between browser sessions. These allow your preferences or actions across our website to be remembered. These will remain on your device until they expire, or you delete them from your cache.
In addition, the cookies that we place on your device may also be:
- Strictly necessary cookies — these cookies are essential for you to be able to navigate our website and use its features. Without these cookies, the services you have asked for could not be provided
- Performance cookies — these cookies collect information about how you use our website e.g. which pages you go to most often. These cookies do not collect personally identifiable information about you and is only used to improve how our website works
- Functionality cookies — these cookies allow our website to remember the choices you make (such as your username, language, last action and search preferences) and provide enhanced, more personal features. The information collected by these cookies is anonymous and cannot track your browsing activity on other websites
- Targeting cookies (third party cookies and cookies used for advertising) — these cookies collect information about your browsing habits in order to deliver adverts more relevant to you and your interests. They remember websites you have visited, and that information is shared with other parties such as advertisers. For more information about opting out of marketing cookies click here
Which cookies do we use?
- Cloudflare – for website functionality
- CrazyEgg – for analytics
- Facebook – for advertising and analytics
- Google Analytics & Adwords Tracking – for advertising and analytics
How to disable cookies
You can choose to disable cookies by changing your browser settings. Please be aware that by doing so you may lose some functionality of our website and you will not receive a personal
We do not sell your personal information on to any third party under any circumstances.
How to contact us
By phone: 01789 778541
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By post: Data Controller, The Heart of England Forest, Colletts Farm Office, Dorsington, Stratford-upon-Avon CV37 8AU
This document was last updated on 18 July 2019.